Alexander Boyden, PhD
Department of Pathology
1080 Medical Laboratories
500 Newton Road
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242-1109
The Karandikar lab aims to fully understand the complex cellular interplay governing the immune-mediated demyelinating disease multiple sclerosis (MS). I study the regulatory potential of CD8 T cells that recognize central nervous system peptides, and am interested in the regulatory program they exert over time in vivo, as well the targets of their immunosuppressive mechanisms. We believe these lines of investigation hold implications for potential immunotherapies for MS patients.
- Boyden AW, Brate AA, and Karandikar NJ. “Early IFNγ-mediated and late perforin-mediated suppression of pathogenic CD4 T cell responses are both required for inhibition of demyelinating disease by CNS-specific autoregulatory CD8 T cells.” Accepted at Frontiers in Immunology; September 2018.
- Gibson-Corley KN, Boyden AW, Leidinger MR, Lambertz AM, Ofori-Amanfo G, Naumann PW, Goeken A, and Karandikar NJ. “A method for histopathological study of the multifocal nature of spinal cord lesions in murine experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis.” PeerJ. 2016; 4: e1600. Published online 2016 January 26. doi: 10.7717/peerj.1600 PMCID: PMC4741089
- Sinha S*, Boyden AW*, Itani FR, Crawford MP and Karandikar NJ. “CD8+ T-Cells as Immune Regulators of Multiple Sclerosis.” Frontiers in Immunology. 2015; 6: 619. Published online 2015 December 10. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2015.00619; PMCID: PMC4674574
- Boyden AW, Frickman AM, Legge KL, Waldschmidt TJ (2014) Primary and long-term B-cell responses in the upper airway and lung after influenza A virus infection. Immunologic Research 59(1-3): 73-80. [PubMed]
- Boyden AW, Legge KL, Waldschmidt TJ (2012) Pulmonary Infection with Influenza A Virus Induces Site-Specific Germinal Center and T Follicular Helper Cell Responses. PLoS ONE 7(7): e40733. [PubMed]
- Alexander C-M, Tygrett LT, Boyden AW, Wolniak KL, Legge KL, Waldschmidt TJ (2011) T regulatory cells participate in the control of germinal centre reactions. Immunology 133: 452–468. [PubMed]