Scott Steward-Tharp, DDS, PhD
Department of Pathology
1080 Medical Laboratories
500 Newton Road
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242-1109
An Iowa native with an unfavorable HLA repertoire who was inoculated with the research virion while working towards a BS in biochemistry at the University of Iowa, I managed to weather the acute stage of infection exploring mechanisms of enzyme catalysis in the laboratory of Dr. Amnon Kohen. Dormancy did not last through dental school and the HHMI-NIH Research Scholars Program took me to Bethesda where I joined the laboratory of Dr. John O’Shea and surfed the IL-17 wave exploring the role of STAT signaling within T helper cell differentiation and disease. My Midwest nomad years continued through the NIH Oxford-Cambridge program and a collaboration with Professor Fiona Powrie, FRS, investigating various aspects of mucosal immunity utilizing a mouse model I had generated with help from Dr. Rafael Casellas. Following defense of my thesis, I returned to Iowa and reintegrated into the dental curriculum. My DDS was immediately chased with entry into the Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology residency training program. T cell exhaustion has since settled in and I come to the Karandikar lab in hopes of gaining a deeper understanding of CD8 T cell biology, their roles in autoimmune disease and potential utility in adoptive immunotherapy.
- Tofacitinib suppresses antibody responses to protein therapeutics in murine hosts. Onda M, Ghoreschi K, Steward-Tharp S, Thomas C, O'Shea JJ, Pastan IH, FitzGerald DJ. J Immunol. 2014 Jul 1;193(1):48-55. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1400063. Epub 2014 Jun 2.
- A mouse model of HIES reveals pro- and anti-inflammatory functions of STAT3. Steward-Tharp SM, Laurence A, Kanno Y, Kotlyar A, Villarino AV, Sciume G, Kuchen S, Resch W, Wohlfert EA, Jiang K, Hirahara K, Vahedi G, Sun HW, Feigenbaum L, Milner JD, Holland SM, Casellas R, Powrie F, O'Shea JJ. Blood. 2014 May 8;123(19):2978-87. doi: 10.1182/blood-2013-09-523167. Epub 2014 Mar 14.
- Modulation of innate and adaptive immune responses by tofacitinib (CP-690,550). Ghoreschi K, Jesson MI, Li X, Lee JL, Ghosh S, Alsup JW, Warner JD, Tanaka M, Steward-Tharp SM, Gadina M, Thomas CJ, Minnerly JC, Storer CE, LaBranche TP, Radi ZA, Dowty ME, Head RD, Meyer DM, Kishore N, O'Shea JJ. J Immunol. 2011 Apr 1;186(7):4234-43. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1003668. Epub 2011 Mar 7.
- Opposing regulation of the locus encoding IL-17 through direct, reciprocal actions of STAT3 and STAT5. Yang XP, Ghoreschi K, Steward-Tharp SM, Rodriguez-Canales J, Zhu J, Grainger JR, Hirahara K, Sun HW, Wei L, Vahedi G, Kanno Y, O'Shea JJ, Laurence A. Nat Immunol. 2011 Mar;12(3):247-54. doi: 10.1038/ni.1995. Epub 2011 Jan 30.
- New insights into T cell biology and T cell-directed therapy for autoimmunity, inflammation, and immunosuppression. Steward-Tharp SM, Song YJ, Siegel RM, O'Shea JJ. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010 Jan;1183:123-48. doi: 10.1111/j.1749-6632.2009.05124.x. Review.
- Signal transduction and Th17 cell differentiation. O'Shea JJ, Steward-Tharp SM, Laurence A, Watford WT, Wei L, Adamson AS, Fan S. Microbes Infect. 2009 Apr;11(5):599-611. doi: 10.1016/j.micinf.2009.04.007. Epub 2009 Apr 18. Review.
- Effects of a distal mutation on active site chemistry. Wang L, Tharp S, Selzer T, Benkovic SJ, Kohen A. Biochemistry. 2006 Feb 7;45(5):1383-92.